Sunday, April 5, 2009

Please leave these poor sick monkeys alone, they have problems enough as it is

8 things I did last week (it's supposed to be "yesterday", but I don't think anyone wants to hear about 8 things I did at work):
1. Used a nailgun for the first time installing a steel door in the basement with a ton of help from Steve, my burly neighbor who has every tool in the planet.
2. Put in 25 more feet of my brick path
3. Stacked all the wood in the backyard into a huge, 7-foot pile
4. Tried to get the YM excited about earning their "Duty to God" award. (Incentive: Blue Man Group show next year)
5. Got yelled at by a gas station attendant for sticking my gas cap underneath the handle of the pump so I don't have to hold it. (It's Mass state law that they take out the metal thingies that hold the handle of the pump--dumbest law ever--so I circumvent it with my gas cap)
6. Fed the missionaries my delicious tostadas (fried and then baked to perfection)
7. Watched Mel plant her vegetables in one of those starter seeding kits, to be transplanted in the garden in May
8. Ripped out some thorn bush roots as I continue to wage war with them

8 favorite current TV shows (that I admit to watching)
1. Madmen
2. Breaking Bad
3. Flight of the Conchords (post title quote)
4. Friday Night Lights
5. 30 Rock
6. The Office (although it's been pretty painful recently-too much Michael Scott)
7. Scrubs
8. Rules of Engagement

8 Fave restaurants
1. Chili's (Brown Sugar Back Back ribs, Molten chocolate cake)
2. Burger King (I know it's fast food, but the Angry Whopper is delish! And cheap, too!)
3. Fuddrucker's (make sure you put honey mustard and BBQ sauce on your burger. Sounds weird, but it's amazing!)
4. Joe Vera's (enchilada and tostada meal)
5. Training Table (cheese fries and hickory sauce with a side of burger)
6. Dairy Queen (their food is average, but I love me a Blizzard after a hamburger)
7. TGI Friday's (anything with Jack Daniel's sauce)
8. Bessinger's Barbecue in Charleston, SC (I only went there once, but their sauce was amazing on those ribs. You can buy the sauce online at Bessingersbbq.com. I like the Hickory Smoke Recipe)

I've written a post about this about a year ago, but I don't like those fancy-schmancy places that we have all our work dinners. For one, they're too expensive. For two, I'm a comfort food kinda guy. For three, why would I spend 20-40 dollars on an entree just to say I went to (insert trendy high-brow restaurant here) when I could get my work to pay for it? So I stick to the classics and the chains, because I know what I'm getting and what I'm paying, no matter where I am. I don't know why I feel I have to defend my restaurant selection, but there ya go.

8 things I'm looking forward to:
1. Every single weekend for the rest of my life
2. Fam reunion in July
3. Finishing my brick path
4. Finishing my barely-started basement
5. Mowing my lawn
6. Planting a nice flowering tree as a centerpiece to my garden area (suggestions? I'm thinking Vesuvius Plum)
7. Installing an arbor and planting rose vines to grow up and over it
8. Anything I can do to make my yard look better (you can tell what's on my mind)

8 wishes
1. That I had unlimited wishes!
2. Weekends lasted longer
3. My wife loved me
4. My lawn wasn't so uneven
5. My back didn't hurt after 15 minutes of shoveling
6. That I knew how to do all those construction type things
7. Everyone would stop freaking out about global warming
8. My new neighbors didn't have a yappy dog

8 people to tag
My wife who loves me
Flex
Vanessa
Sam
Leez-leez
Baldwin (congrats on the new kid)
Sassafrass
Sara K

7 comments:

phil said...

japanese cherry blossom tree

Baldwin said...

I'll put it here until the baby thing simmers down... I can't push my baby's blog down for this quite yet.

8 things I did yesterday:
1. Posted a blog about my baby boy
2. Recorded a radio show
3. Attending Vernal’s fight night, UCE brought in town by the radio station.
4. Took a nap
5. Watched ‘Marley and Me’
6. Tried to talk Kristin into letting me redo the living room
7. Parented solo while Kristin was in the hospital.
8. Watched Conference.

8 favorite current TV shows (that I admit to watching)
1. House
2. Lost
3. 24
4. Big Love
5. Prison Break
6. American Idol
7. Simpsons
8. Forensic Files/America’s Most Wanted/ etc…

8 Fave restaurants
1. Olive Garden
2. Costa Azul
3. Pizza Hut
4. Wendy’s
5. Wingers
6. Training Table
7. Dee’s
8. Outback

8 things I'm looking forward to:
1. Traveling
2. Retirement
3. Finishing my MS degree
4. Ryanna and Quinten growing up
5. Warm weather
6. A time in my life when I have weekends
7. Pay Raises
8. Opening Day (tomorrow)

8 wishes
1. World Peace
2. That everyone would have a good job
3. That women wouldn’t smoke during pregnancy
4. Vernal wasn’t so far from everything
5. I had 30 hours a day
6. I didn’t have to sleep
7. The Jazz were good
8. The Reds were good

8 people to tag
Anyone named Kristin/Kristen
1-3. Baker, Baum, Baldwin….
4-99. If your last name is Adams or If you are my wife’s cousin….

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

So after reading baldwin's comment I was like 'who's blog is this again?'

It's actually cool that you're so obsessed with home and garden now. We finally can stop talking about sports so much, sheesh.

I wish that Melanie loved you too. Poor Kent. Poor, unloved, Kent.

JoEllen said...

So impressed that you actually did it! And you rose way above the tag potential, you know a lot of times people make them so boring:
"Yesterday I-
1. woke up
2. showered
3. got dressed
4. ate lunch
5. tied my shoes
etc
Yeah I would definitely plant one of those flowering trees if I lived in a cool place like you do. or a fruit tree since you can actually grow apples unlike us.

Kurt said...

It's 35 degrees here in KC right now. It's going to snow again tomorrow (snowed a foot last week). It's 'too' cold for more than 6 months here. KC is at the 39th parallel, on par with Washington DC, Lisbon and Greece. No lake climate here, either. I can't imagine what New England, Detroit and Rochester are all like. And we're uncomfortable with the possibility of things getting warmer?

I've been doing a ton of reading on this lately. Canadafreepress.com is a good start: http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/categories/C19 (this link is a list of 15 columns on the subject).

The hypocrisy of the global warming opportunists is beyond any other out there. I’ll believe the planet is in peril when the people telling me so start acting like it.

Obviously, you're already sick of hearing about it, and don't need more convincing. The people that do need convincing do nothing but watch TV, and will get all info/opinion there. Can't read. Oh well.

And I'm ticked about your garden/yard fixation. I miss our sports talks.

Brian said...

What's the steel door fer? And when are you going to post about Terrence again, dagnab it?

Lorana said...

I don't get the whole fancy restaurant thing. I'm not sure I could enjoy a meal that I'd dropped a whole week's worth of grocery money on.
And I concur with Brian. Ter-RENCE! Ter-RENCE! Ter-RENCE!