Thursday, December 17, 2009

Adventures In Babysitting

Now that Hendrik is in his second month of life I feel like we are starting to get into the groove of this whole "baby" thing. We still have very lazy days where I feel like the 2 of us lay around on the couch all day while Kent slaves away at work. However, so far this week I have had 2 1/2 fairly productive days so I'm giving myself (and Hendrik) a pat on the back.

Anyway, Kent has been nagging me about posting on the blog, but I just feel like I don't have anything interesting to post about. Then I read this blog and feel so lame because no matter what Vanessa writes about, it's hilarious or at least interesting to read. Seriously, she could write about hanging Christmas lights and it would be the greatest thing ever.

Speaking of which, we are about to celebrate our first Christmas in our house. Remember: last year we were enjoying 85 degree days in Thailand/Cambodia. Since we'll be here we decided to decorate a little bit. And I do mean a little. See the photo for evidence. Go ahead and guess which side is ours...Our neighbors take holiday decorating seriously. It was the same at Halloween.


We'll go ahead and have a Merry Christmas anyway.

And now a few highlights of the adventures I have with Hendrik:

1. I braved an airplane ride alone with my 5 week old son. I especially loved taking him out of his car seat, folding up the stroller, taking off my shoes and pushing it all through the security x-ray all while holding said baby. I also enjoyed the looks of "Oh, please tell me that lady and her crying baby are not on my flight" from the other passengers waiting at the gate. Eat it people. My baby slept the whole way, both directions, and is ALWAYS adorable. Hendrik and I were traveling to Maryland to visit his cousin Sophia who is 2 days younger than he is. Oh and he also saw his Aunt Christy, Uncle Jonathan, and all of his cousins on my side of the family.

Sophia is not as impressed with Hendrik's smiles as I am.

Uncle Jonathan (my brother) and his daughter, Debbie. His son, Gabriel, was running around with his friends and I wasn't able to capture a picture.

2. I had my 6-week follow up with my doctor and we decided to swing by my office to say hello while we were there (I work right next door to the hospital). Now, when I was pregnant I kept waiting for crazy strangers to try and touch my belly, and luckily it never happened. Now that I actually have the baby, I've been waiting for the crazy strangers to touch/hold him. While he gets lots of oohs and aahs from everyone he passes, no one has tried to actually hold him yet. To the population at large: Thank You. I appreciate your admiration and constraint. However, as we were walking through the hallway toward my office, this lady is approaching us from the opposite direction and calls out, "What a beautiful baby." Two thoughts run through my mind: "Thank you very much, he is quite fabulous" and "Can you even see him from that far away?" Not to worry, as she gets closer and I notice she has a big bandaid over one eye with a hole cut out of it so that she can see (read: CRAZY LOOKING), she says, "May I look at him?" So I say sure, and turn him towards her so that she can look. Then she precedes to hold her hands out and ask my 6 week old if he wants to come to her. Lady, he barely holds his own neck up and you think he can gesture to indicate whom he would like to be held by? Oh yeah, and you're a complete stranger, in a hospital no less, during flu season, but yes, please hold my baby. I just politely turned Hendrik away from her, mumbled no, and bee lined for the end of the hallway. Strangers: Please don't ask to hold my baby. I don't know you. I will have to say no. And I may not be polite about it. It really depends on the day. Basically don't make me be mean to you.

Visiting Auntie Sherri at the office, she's not the crazy lady, we love her.

3. I have realized that shopping during the weekdays puts you out there with all the senior citizen shoppers. Now, I love my seniors as much as the next guy, but they definitely have their quirks. Take today for instance. Being a productive day, Hendrik and I headed out for a little shopping, stopping first at Costco. By the time we got there, I knew I had a half hour before he would need to be fed again, so I shopped as quickly as I could, sticking mainly to my list of items. I was pretty successful and decided that instead of subjecting all the other Costco shoppers to my nursing in the food court area, I would just feed him out in the car. So there I was, minding my own business, nursing my son when I see this little old lady walking up to the driver-side window. Here's how it played out:

Little Old Lady: (knocking on the window) Can you move your car back a little bit?
Me: What?
LOL: I need you to move your car back a little bit. I'm in the space in front of you and I need to move up a little more. Can you do that?
Me: (as I look down at the covered bundle currently enjoying lunch on my lap) Uh...
LOL: What? Can you? You're over the line.
Me: (again glance down) Uh...yeah...I guess so.
LOL: WHAT? (because I've refused to roll down my window and let the 20 degree air in)
Oh, do you have a baby in there?
Me: Yes
LOL: Oh, well, sorry. So can you still move back?

Lady, seriously? The best part is that she had me move back about 3 inches. What did that really do? Not to mention she had already parked her car and turned off the ignition before asking me to move. So we both had to start up our cars just so she could have her Toyota Camry parked in the spot the way she wanted it. I would also like to note that when I had originally parked there was already a car in that spot and they didn't seem to have any issues hanging out a few inches.

Whatever.

On a more positive note:

Our little Teddy Bear bundled up to go pick out a Christmas tree.

With his "token" friend.


6 comments:

Liesl said...

He is truly an adorable kid. Cool.

Kent said...

The pic of the neighbor's side doesn't do it justice, they also have a big blow-up Santa in their front yard.

Paula said...

Very cute and yes, we'll claim him as a Hansen.

Kristie said...

I don't know what you were talking about - as far as not having an interesting post. . . that was a great blog. I laughed several times through it. I loved all the photos, and your great stories. Thanks for writing. Hendrik is adorable.

kurt said...

Hendrik looks very cute in that top picture with Sophia.

Vanessa said...

Ok, first, let me apologize for my leaving this post uncommented for so long. I've actually read it three times--and due to my being out of town, and my little wench being sick, each time I've lifted a finger to comment I've been called away by something urgent. Aren't you so glad I explained?

First off, thanks for the shout out! Holy crap I got so puffed up with pride I read it aloud to Sam like 5 times! And have brought it up a few times since... "Remember what Mel said about me on her blog, Sam? Oh man, she's so funny!" :)

BRAVO for surviving the airport with little Hendo. MOST STRESSFUL THING EVER. I get hives anticipating flights with Leah every time. And I so relate to stingey jerks on the plane, giving me and my BABY stink eye, like "you better not even THINK about sitting next to me with that little leper!"

Laughed out loud about the crotchety old lady AND the "crazy" trying her hand at an abduction. Hahaha! Loved this post! Please kick your husband off more.

Oh oh, and I'm glad to see you are adjusting so well to the new mom thing---it only took me... 18 months or so, so while you're a little behind, you're still doing really well. Hope to see you and meet that little morsel soon!