Thursday, November 15, 2007

Goodwins

Last night I had a dream about the Goodwins. For those of you unfamiliar with the Goodwins, they are my parent's long-time neighbors in our cul-de-sac in Orem. They had 2 natural born kids, Hillary and Chris, and then adopted 2 kids from El Salvador, Dave and Timmy.

Since I definitely don't have pictures of them, I did a Google search for their names and found their counterparts:

Bob




















Anne















Hillary



















Chris



















Dave









Tim


















All of the above people actually share the name of our infamous neighbors except for Hillary's picture, because there was no Google Image found for "Hillary Goodwin", and Dave, because the Dave Goodwins I found were insufficiently funny.

The Goodwins are famous for:
1. Borrowing our ladder and not returning it.
2. Playing basketball on our court while we are eating Sunday dinner.
3. Weirdo Chris practicing his wicked awesome mountain bike moves on their front lawn for about 17 hours every day, and then mocking me for playing "in mine" basketball, complete with crowd noise and announcers. This deserves its own blog post.
4. Hillary, a fairly normal girl, who Mom dubbed "Hillstance". This nickname is probably the longest lasting Mom nickname.
5. Timmy getting jailed multiple times in his life and driving hideous Mexi-mobiles.
6. Dave thinking he is an athlete because he made one of the dozens of double-A soccer teams, in an era where EVERYBODY made the team. I reffed quite a few games in which he thought I was the "worst ref ever". In a related story, I thought he was the worst player ever.
7. Staying up late (past 8 pm!) and playing in their yard in the summer months when it was still light outside while me, Brian, and Kurt (the 3 terrible twerps) looked on in insane jealousy. (Similar to the Simpsons Episode where Bart and Lisa go live at the Flanders and they have to go to bed at like 5 pm).
8. Having the poopiest backyard of all time, what with their 3 Austin Collies and all. I hated mowing that lawn, but I needed the dough.
9. Being "rich", according to us twerps, because the Schwann's frozen food truck pulled up to their house at least once a week. We equated frozen food with wealth because we rarely got it, and we loved it. We also equated delivery service with wealth because we also never got it and we never got to buy ice cream from the ice cream truck. Turns out that they were just lazy.
10. Bob breaking every LDS record for talk length (53 minutes), testimony length (25 minutes-also when sacrament meeting was the LAST meeting, making us endure 3 hours and 20 minutes of church that day), prayer length (16 minutes), baby blessing length (23 minutes), and home teaching lesson length (3 weeks, 2 days, 19 hours, 32 minutes, 14 seconds--according to Kurt).

Anyway, in the dream I had to go over to the Goodwin's for some reason and it was just Anne and Bob, and they had done all sorts of remodeling, and Chris still lived downstairs, which is really funny if you think about it. That is all.

I pray the Goodwins never see this.

5 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Melanie said that you said that I would love this post and she was right about what you said I would think. I laughed quite hard at Dave's and Chris's pictures but didn't quite get Timmy's. You also forgot to say that Dave was infamous for ALWAYS eating every time I saw him except for at Orem High when he would be open-mouthing his chubby girlfriend. Oh yeah, and parking in MY parking spot in front of OUR house. Man that bugged me.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Oh and ps, congrats on only having 1300 days left until Kent Jr (I call him 'Ku-Jo') is born.

Liesl said...

Okay, in Prague I was sitting in a restaurant when I looked over and saw Bob Goodwin. Well, it wasn't him, but I almost got up and talked to him when I heard him speak English with an accent. He looked freakishly like him. Loved this post, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Who drives to your next-door neighbor's house to pick someone up, and then drive together to another neighbor's house who lives in the same cul-de-sac? Yeah, that's me.

Anonymous said...

Yup. A year later, and this is still your best blog ever.