Sunday, November 18, 2007

Model Child

The problem with posting a life-altering post like "The Goodwins" is that I have to follow it up with an equally entertaining post. Well, I shall disappoint the Faithful by posting a rather "newsy" post instead of a "observational" post. Booooooooring!

One of the perks about having a job and not being a student, is that once you're home, you got nothin to do but watch the boob-tube-aroo and fool, fool, fool. So I used to just relax by watching the tube or play Civ IV. I can only take a couple of hours of staring at the picture box and Civ has been losing its allure, so I decided to take up a new hobby. But, alas, what was I to take up?

I narrowed it down to 5 hobbies:

1. Annoying my wife



















2. Annoying my neighbors


















3. Scrapbooking


















4. Sports and junk












5. Growing out my toenails to beat the Guinness world record








As appealing as the first 2 sounded, it would lead to a cranky wife and/or neighbors, so that was ruled out. Scrapbooking is awesome in every way, so I knew that wasn't for me. Sports is so last week. So growing out my toenails was the hobby!

The first week was going great, until I realized that I STILL had all sorts of time, no matter how much I spent focusing on toenail-growing. One day, while simultaneously growing the toenails and watching "Beetlejuice", I saw the impressive model city they had in their basement, and I decided to go into modeling.

No, not male modeling, although I would be the Most Smartest Model if I got into it. Instead, I went down to Ye Olde Train Modeling Shoppe, which is also Ye Biggest Train Modeling Shoppe Inne Ye USA, and starting perusing. I didn't want to waste a bunch of dough on a model train, because I didn't even know if I would like it, so I spent 10 bucks on a "Homestead" set (water tower included!), bought some Super Duper Awesome Ridiculously Sticky Glue and a Precise-O Knife. I took it home and started gluing away, and lo, I finished my first model. I had a few screwups, probably used way too much glue, and even bent the antenna on the house, but I think it looks FETCHIN good.











"Oh, Ima doin' the warsh out here on the range..."











"Oh shewt! George done did sit in a cow pie again!"














"The unshaven giant is back again!!! Aieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!"

7 comments:

jaime said...

oh kent.

i find your blog quite entertaining.

so...tag. you're it. instructions there.

Liesl said...

While you're at it, could you kindly tell mother to come down from the shingles?

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

And if you look to the left...you will see a very sad man.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

And if you look to the left...you will see a very sad man.

Sara said...

Sigh...good 'ole models. Very impressive. I was thinking of pickin' up a hobby, and almost grabbed myself a paint by number at Michael's the other day.

Anonymous said...

I almost took up model trains, but changed my mind for 3 reasons:

1. Model trains are ridiculously expensive.
2. They take up a lot of space in your basement.
3. It seems like I ought to have more important things to do than fool, fool, fool with model trains. I don't, but it seems like I ought to.