Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Don't let the first sentence scare you.

Have you ever been sitting in a stall in a public restroom and making quite a stink? Well, I have. Often. Mostly at work. During the particularly pungent ones I feel a little self-conscious, mostly because of the huge cracks in the stall walls, you know, the opening between the door and the corners and what-not. It drives me nuts how they can't build stalls that are more private! I know I've accidentally seen some poor sap as I've scanned for open stalls. I mean, how hard can it be to build stalls will flush corners and doors?

Which brings us to today's subject: technological innovations and the lack thereof.

20 years ago the only way to send your loved one a note was to put it in a stupid envelope, find a stamp, find their address, put it in your mailbox, put the flag up, and wait for the mailman. Now we can send IM's to each other, look up recipes on the Interwebs, etc. We have almost infinite information at our fingertips. It's great. You love it, I love it, your mom REALLY loves it.

So why are we still putting up with ancient things like the aforementioned stall? I work in a nice office building in downtown Boston, you'd think they would have decent stalls. But they don't, because NOBODY does. It's still the norm! I bet if you went back to the 50's you'd find stalls that were exactly the same. I look forward to the day when we say, "Remember the old stalls with huge cracks everybody could see through?"

Along the same lines, where are all the flying cars I was promised in all those movies like Back to the Future II? Our mode of transportation has been the same for almost a century. Horseless carriages have gotten nicer inside, but when it comes down to it, it's still 4 wheels on asphalt. When do we get to drive in the sky? When do I get to drive around in a Landspeeder like in Star Wars? We need to stop spending so much money on new roads and put it into R&D for flying cars. So let it be written.

You could say, "They're called PLANES, Kent, ya stoop!" Well, duh. But I'm talking more about the ability for everyone to quickly jump in their flying car, stomp on the gas, and be at work in 10 minutes, with plentiful parking in the air. How hard could it be?

And that's it for today's rant. Until next time!

2 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

You pose a semi-interesting question, Kent. I was actually just talking about this with Aaron yesterday because there is now a car that can drive in the sky and under water. Well, I thought, it would be quite scary to drive around in the sky because people are such bad drivers and so many people die from car accidents already. We first need more responsible people like Mark Hamill driving in the sky before we can just mass-produce land speeders. Another great idea: On the bathroom stalls, they could have the lock turn from 'vacant' to 'occupied' so you wouldn't have to check under the stalls or in the cracks.

MamiJo said...

Glad to see you're feeling better, Kent.