Saturday, November 8, 2008

You and You and You

In order to understand what is written on my cake you would have to watch the movie, "Eagle vs. Shark."

For my birthday this year my employer was kind enough to send me on an all-expenses paid trip to Hilton Head, SC.

Okay, so maybe it didn't go exactly like that, but I did fly to Hilton Head on my birthday and work did pay for it so I think that counts.

Since we knew we wouldn't be home on my actual birthday, Kent helped me celebrate the night before. He got home from work before I did so he could run to the store to pick up ingredients for my birthday dinner: crepes. I love crepes. I don't have them very often, but when I do, I'm in heaven. You can put anything in a crepe and eat it. Maybe not anything, but there are a variety of options. One of my favorites is Nutella and strawberries, try it sometime. My mom used to make crepes all the time when I was younger, and usually when I make it home to visit I request them for a meal (Mom, if you're reading this that can be taken as a hint).

Anyway, not only did Kent make me crepes (his first time!) but he also baked me a lovely birthday cake and bought me flowers as well. I can never sing his praises loud enough. Some guys pull out all the stops while you're dating, fresh flowers all the time, romantic dinners and dates, and then it stops when you're married, but not Kent. He rarely bought me flowers while we were dating so when he does those things now they are so much more special. He also wrote me a lovely card - he's getting better and better at that. For my gift I got my standard chick flick DVD (Lars & The Real Girl - I strongly recommend it) and Kent is going to take me to a local play some time this month.

On my birthday morning I woke up, got dressed, packed, and went to work. Since I was going to have my own hotel room in Hilton Head, Kent decided to make the trip down and spend the few days with me. We were expecting sunny afternoons spent on the beach or poolside, but alas the weather did not cooperate. It was a little chillier than we had hoped and it rained - A LOT. However, we wanted to see Charleston while we were there so we made the drive in the pouring rain, drove around the city in the pouring rain, and drove back to Hilton Head in the pouring rain. Needless to say we really want to go back so that we can walk around and really get a good sense of the city.
A view of the beach, just outside the hotel, on the not-so-sunny day. Please don't mind the totally unflattering picture of me...Remember, I was the birthday girl.

Kent, thoroughly enjoying his quick vacation.

Post Man Kent. While in Charleston, we stopped in the Old Custom House. They had all these old Southern stamps, including those used when the south was its own nation.

The Custom House was also where they jailed the pirates as they captured them. This was the code of ethics for one of the pirate gangs/crews.


We visited one of the local plantations on Hilton Head Island and got to watch the sunset over the water.

On the final day we were there the sun finally decided to come out so as we waited to go to the airport we lounged out on the beach and poolside - finally. It was definitely a nice trip. I actually got a lot out of the work conference, it was a beautiful location, in a nice hotel, and I got to share it with my favorite person - Kent, in case you were wondering.


So I would like to say thank you to my boss for allowing me to go and leave her alone in the office to handle all the crazies. And of course most of the thanks goes to my cute husband for helping me celebrate the quarter-century mark of my life in such an awesome way.


How awesome is Kent with his photography skills? He has the patience to hold the camera still. All of my dusk/nighttime pictures end up blurry.

7 comments:

phil said...

nutella is my favorite as well

Alice H said...

Happy Birthday Melanie! I'm going to start writing down your movie recommendations - I'm a huge movie person too. And those sunset pictures are amazing!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Make sure to remember: no snapping of arms in the hold. Very important.

Happy Birthday Mel! And yes, those sunset pictures are quite terrific, Kent. Sorry I doubted you.

JoEllen said...

Good re-cap. Funny and interesting and full of pictures. I especially like your expression in the first picture, I can hear Kent jeering in the background. Happy 25th.

Lorana said...

Love the code of "Ethics." And I want to hang Kent's photos in my house.

Liesl said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry I don't have anything intelligent or witty to say within this comment. My brain is fried. So, uh, happy birthday again.

Kristie said...

Happy Birthday Mel! What a great way to celebrate your 25th! I think Kent could sell some of his photos on the side. Nice job.