Monday, December 1, 2008

Tons of pics, part 2

I know you all don't care (only 2 comments last post!), but I said I would put up more, and I am a man of my word:

This is on the outskirts of the village that I ended my week-long trek in. We arrived in the early afternoon, right after school ended. I love this picture because it illustrates Nepal so well: the terraced farms, the mountains, the children.
Timpanogos!
On the Teton trek, looking south towards the Grand Teton, Lake Solitude on the right. About 10,000 feet up.
Hilton Head
Fanueil Hall on First Night, Boston, Dec. 31, 2007
Boylston Street on First Night, looking from the Common
Looking south onto the Financial District from the North End, Boston. The clock tower on the left, the Old Customs House, is where my Great-grandpa Hendrik Winkel arrived in America. Or was it my dad's side? Mom, correct me here.
Newport Beach

That famous Cypress tree on the Big Sur, California.
Some beach north of San Fran
Some bridge that crosses the St. Larry river, overlooking Montreal
Same bridge, different picture
Lake Solitude, Grand Teton National Park
Monument valley
Vermont foliage, outside Manchester, Vermont, October 2008
Delicate arch
Deer Creek and Timp
Timp from the Sundance chair. You can tell I miss the mountains
Wyoming cemetary, across the street from our apartment in Melrose, MA
Sailboats on the Chaz River, Back Bay in the background.
Stowe, VT, foliage trip 2007
Some old shack we passed on the trek, near the end, lower elevation (about 8000 ft)

15 comments:

Liesl said...

Kent, I do appreciate these posts! I completely forgot to comment. Those pictures are looking good, though. I really like your pictures, and I love taking pictures as well. My favorites are mostly of people and looking at their expressions. My favorite pictures on this post are the last one, the one of you at Newport Beach, and the first one. The Newport Beach has the greatest pose. That's so hilarious.

Pete said...

The shack is my favorite, though there are lots of very excellent pictures. Didn't know you were so talented. The CW Broadbent family reunion next summer is at Yellowstone, so we may go down to Grand Teton Park while we are there.

Brian said...

I didn't comment on the last post because I was jealous of your picture-taking skills. This time I'm commenting because I feel bad.

How do you get such wide-angle shots? Do you take a bunch and somehow glue 'em together? How do you glue 'em?

Lorana said...

I like how you frame your subjects, like in the picture of Timp from Sundance. Love the panoramics.

Kristin said...

While they are all good the timp and deer creek one is my favorite. Way to be annoyingly good at everything!! I'm mostly kidding... ;)

A-Ware said...

You and your awesome Boston pics are the reason I endure occassional guilt trips from the wife for making her move to CA. Thanks a lot.

Paula said...

Very nice pictures, Kent. I'm curious why the cemetery in MA is called Wyoming?

Melanie said...

How awesome is my husband! The b/w shack picture has been one of my all-time favorites. It looks like it belongs in a magazine...

Pete and Repete said...

Yeah, I think when I bought my computer it had that shack picture pre-installed as a sample photo. What are you trying to pull over on us anyway?

Anonymous said...

Sweet pics dude. If I didn't know you, I would think this was your full time job.

AND..love the mountain pics...good ol' lake solitude. Good times.

MamiJo said...

I think I like Fanyul Hall the best because it reminds me of all of the freezing cold memories I have there. I'd like a copy. You can give it to me for Christmas.

Brooke said...

These pics are great. You should make them bigger on the blog so I can see them better! Nice work. Are you sure these were all with a point & click?

M-Ware said...

nothing like whining about comments to get some. i have LOVED these picture posts. what is this miraculous camera that you use? it's not an slr? i must know!

oh, i see a-ware told you what i really think. it's true. calif. does not begin to compare to the awesomeness of mass. seriously, tho, i want to know what camera you have. i am about to buy an slr, but i look at these shots and think: why?

i will look back here to see your answer.

Kent said...

Martha-

Most of these pictures were taken with a Casio Exilim, although it broke last Christmas. (In fact, the Deer Creek Timpanogos pic was its last pic) I got tired of the little cameras with the retracting lens because if you drop or hit the camera with the lens open, it gets stuck and becomes unusable. So I went with the totally durable Olympus Stylus 790 SW. Waterproof, shockproof, which is handy since I keep my camera in my pocket, even while snowboarding (you never know when a good scene will appear). The Olympus doesn't have quite as vibrant colors, but I find that good photo software makes up for that. I use the Kodak EasyShare software, and then PhotoStitch to create the panoramas (to answer another question in the comments).

The key to good night shots is a tripod, or something else to hold it very still. I still think my night pics are too blurry.

And, yes, Mass rocks. I wouldn't mind if you guys moved back.

M-Ware said...

great info! thanks!!