Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Picket Fence

You may recall that we put up an arbor at the beginning of the brick pathway:
We decided to put up a picket fence on both sides. I installed the posts 8 feet apart, digging a 24 inch hole and adding cement. This was no picnic, as the ground turns into rock after about 6 inches. You will also see the trench that I dug around the garden to install the rabbit fence underground.
More trench.
Trench on the south side.
The back side:
And the north side.
Melanie and I put up the picket fence one morning, it took around 3 hours.


Over the "river" leading to Lake Hansen.

While Mel planted the garden, I put up the rabbit fence and filled in the trenches.




Then we painted the fence to match the arbor.
The finished product...

5 comments:

Liesl said...

Oooo, it's lovely. And I'm not one for home projects, but that's probably because I don't have a home. Being homeless does that to you.

phil said...

very nice work. what's next for the yard?

Brian said...

How's it keep the rabbits out?

Lorana said...

Dang, Kent! You're a machine. 24-inch-deep holes?!?! We only went down a foot and a half for our fence and that was plenty to put us off fence-building for the remainder of the century.

Bruce Hansen said...

My rule for home improvement projects has always been: if it requires a saw, it's out of my league. I'm now adding to that rule: if it requires a saw or concrete, it's out of my league.