Monday, October 20, 2008

Go to Hull!

Fort Revere at night

Hull is a little town on the edge of the peninsula that juts out into Boston Harbor. Go look it up on Google Maps. See it? Okay, there you go. That's where the scouts went camping last weekend. We were supposed to go to one of the actual harbor islands, but the boat was too early, so instead we camped betwixt the main road and the harbor on the tiny peninsula between Fort Revere and Allerton Point.
Looking east from Fort Revere towards Allerton Point, and beyond that is the Atlantic. We camped on the isthmus, there in the middle

The scenery was awesome. To the west was downtown Boston, you could even see my place of employment. To the east was the limitless expanse of the Atlantic Ocean, the waves disappearing into the horizon. To the north was a few harbor islands, one tiny house inhabited with only a small house and a working light house. To the south was an inlet from the harbor, where all the sailboats and yachts were sleeping.
To the south

This camping was not exactly your typical camping in the woods. More like camping in somebody's backyard, if that person's house abutted the harbor. But we took advantage of the urban environment by taking a hike to Fort Revere at night and checking out the lights of Boston.
To the west

The next morning I woke up at 6 am and went outside for a walk. My bones were aching from a rough night on the ground, so I had to get out and stretch. The sun was starting to come up and the sky had a slight tinge of red to it, and I walked up to Allerton Point to see if I could get a good view of the sun coming up over the Atlantic. Unfortch, there was no good lookout points in a neighborhood dominated by large houses, but I could still see the lighthouse to the north pretty well. It was perfectly quiet and still, except for the occasional airplane overhead making it's redeye landing at Logan, across the harbor from us.
To the north

We spent Saturday back up at Fort Revere, this time playing Capture the Flag in the abandoned warehouses. The boys were pretty excited that I was willing to play with them, but my legs do not move as fast as they used to, and I got winded pretty darn fast. It was an awesome course for Capture the Flag, in the fort and all. Would've been 10 times cooler in the dark.
To the east

After that, we took a 3-mile hike down the beach. I'm not sure why the scoutmaster had us do that, maybe he wanted a nap or something. It was a nice walk, but we'd been running around all morning, and we were pretty tired. Oh well. We finally made it and I figured I'd walked around 8 miles that day, not counting Capture the Flag, and that's a lot for someone like me who only walks 2 blocks to work from the train station every day.

All in all, good times were had by all. It wore me out though, and I had to spend the rest of the day on the couch watching football.

West Bridgewater YM on the walls o' the fort

2 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Nary a post you have that doesn't include the phrase: "and a good time was had by all."

I wanna visit that place. It looks awesome.

Liesl said...

Hull sounds fantastic. I like all the pictures.