Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Date with an Angry King


Do yourself a favor and stop reading this post, right now. Get yourself an Angry Whopper. They're delicious.

I, myself, do not fancy myself a "hothead", you know, someone who loves spicy foods. I feel like too much spice takes away from the flavor of the meal. I am rather a "tanghead", and really like tangy barbecue sauce or anything else described as tangy, zesty, or tart. But I couldn't resist such a clever name as the "Angry Whopper". I took the plunge.

It was delicious! The first bite was more tangy than spicy, a distinct barbecue flavor. In fact, it wasn't really all that spicy until you get to the jalapenos, and even those are pretty tame. I end up picking out all the jalapenos now. I would ask them to hold the jalaps, but how do I say it without looking like an absolute wimp? "I'd like an Angry Whopper, hold the Angry"? I don't think so. This kind of behavior prompts otherwise-highly-motivated fast-food employees to spit in your sandwich. So I'll continue picking the jalaps out on my own, thank you very much.

I've been eating an Angry Whopper a week, and each time it's a great experience. It reminds me of some Wendy's burger they had during high school, I can't remember what it was called, but it was something like the Pepperjack Burger. They had this tangy Pepperjack sauce that I could've eaten with a spoon. I had that burger every day for lunch, it costed 2 bucks by itself. A Pepperjack and a water. Then they discontinued it. Not a visit goes by to Wendy's where I don't look for the return of the Pepperjack. And I shed a tear. Shed a tear for the Pepperjack burger, people, it's gone to Burger heaven with Dave Thomas.

Shall the Angry Whopper have an ignominious fate like the Pepperjack? Not if you all sprint to your local BK and let The King know you love his new sandwich. Maybe this will keep him away from your windows in the morning.

9 comments:

Liesl said...

If I ever eat out ever again and enter once more into the world of spending money, I'll be sure to take you up on your recommendation. I do like BK's fries.

JoEllen said...

After the vacation of 1995 to California (Drunken Cousins Reunion), wherein we ate hamburgers 8 times in 7 days, I am totally burned out of eating hamburgers ever again. But this post made me want to try one.

I love how you wrote "otherwise motivated fast-food employees" Great line!

Brian said...

Are those highly-motivated employees really that touchy? Maybe in Beantown.

JoEllen apparently still hasn't forgiven us for not choosing KFC one of those supposed 8 times. (She's probably counting each hamburger visit twice.) That's a bunch of honk she hasn't had one since then. And by the way, how does she know those "Drunken Cousins" aren't reading this blog? Hmmm?

jaime said...

you must really love me to keep me in the 7th seed even with very (very) infrequent posting.

i'm touched.

and if you can give me a calorie count on that burger, i'll give it a try.

Melanie said...

Jaime - Calories don't count when they come from the King. Sometimes you just have to let loose...and that baby wants an Angry Whopper, fo sho

Lorana said...

Does it come in its own little cage, like the picture? Or do they just keep them all in a cage in the back until they're ordered?

M-Ware said...

i love this post all about a burger.

jaime said...

mel,

that's a beautiful thought. one that i'll remember every single time i hit the BK.

thank you.

love,
jaime

p.s. why don't you guys go ahead and get yourselves facebook accounts so we can cyber-hang out?

Cold Bru said...

A blog post comment line isn't dead until Bruce says it is. Or rather, Bruce posts.

Anyway, Wendell's also occasionally used to bring out a promotional sandwich called the Monterey Chicken Sandwich that was quite delish. I would watch their marquee board for months, waiting for it to come. I don't understand why they didn't make it a permanent menu item. It was plenty popular.

I honestly believe that Wendell's has lost two or three steps since Dave died. In the old days, there was a clear distinction in food quality betwixt Wendell's and BK/McD's. No more. And speaking of spicy, Wendy's did a special three-alarm hot hamburger a couple of years ago. I thought I'd be all over it. It was atrocious. My mouth was basically on fire the whole time, and not in a good way. Yep, Wendy's has lost it.