Thursday, December 13, 2007

When In Rome...

There has been WAY too much football and "boy junk" posted on this blog lately. That's what I get for giving Kent my password...now he thinks he owns this thing.

As I sit here watching the snow pile up outside our sliding door watching the underpaid maintenance guys shovel us a path across the lawn to the trash dumpster, I figured it was the perfect time to add a little Christmas spirit to our humble blog.

Two weeks after Thanksgiving Kent and I made the annual trip to Home Depot to pick out our REAL (as in pine needles falling on the carpet, needing to be watered real) Christmas tree. Of course, the day we choose to do this happens to be the coldest day of the year. Not that Kent enjoys below-zero temperatures, but I think secretly, deep-down-inside, he was excited that it was so cold. It meant that I would be too cold to walk up and down the rows of trees trying to find the "perfect" tree, measuring height, space between branches, stability, overall health and beauty. He was right. As the doors to the Garden Dept slid open and the frigid gust blew past me, I looked towards the trees, pointed from 20 feet away and said, "That one is the one." Kent thought the one next to it looked a little thicker so I told him to grab it and run. Well, it was thicker all right. It is now filling one of the two rooms that make up our apartment.
But it does look fabulous and rather Christmas-y...

Recently I have become fond of cookie cutters and the idea of fun they represent and so earlier this week Kent encouraged me to make something of this obsession and actually make some cookies with the cutters. So after an extra long day at work we set off into the world of sugar plum fairies. That world is seriously overrated.

We rolled out the first round of dough and Kent did a superb job of arranging the cookie cutters to utilize maximum dough space. However, it got a little tricky moving them from the counter top to the cookie sheet, so after his first attempt the rolling, cutting, and baking was delegated to me.




Kent kept himself busy mixing the icing and creating a rainbow of colors. His first grade art teacher is beaming with pride right now...








It was all I could do to keep up with Kent as he iced and sprinkled everything in his path, and I mean everything. I'm still wiping up icing and sprinkles...But he was very creative and I am confident that our neighbors have never received Christmas cookies quite like these before.

All in all, it was a fun activity to do together, but I recommend it to anyone on a Saturday or day off when maybe you've had time to sit down and rest a bit beforehand. To all the supermoms out there who attempt this with small children, I applaud you. In fact, it's a standing ovation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the...? I thought this was Kent's blog?!!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Last night I dreamed that we went to Boston and the real reason Kent wanted us to move there was so we could rent out his basement. He also kindly showed us that one time someone shot a gun at the bed by the window, but it doesn't happen very often.

Anonymous said...

The other day I saw a show on Food Network that was about sugar cookies, and now I am obsessed with making the perfect sugar cookie. The guy had these cool spacer things that you put on your rolling pin to make the dough all the perfect thickness, and now that is something that I MUST have. By the way, your cookies look very delicious!