Friday, January 25, 2008

The Day The TV Died

First, Congratulations to JoEllen and Mark for their brand new baby boy (yet to be named). We are glad Mommy and baby are both doing so well and despite what Kent says, we are super EXCITED to see some photos!

So I lied...I did make a New Year's Resolution. For this stupid Hollywood strike to end. I mean come on, NO one has a compromise by now? I can't even remember how long this ridiculous thing has been going on, but clearly the lesson to learn here is that the writers need better representation and the production companies need to just get over themselves. Seriously, how long do most other strikes last, maybe a month? The labor unions get right in there, break some necks, dust the dirt off and get out. I'm not saying I'm against fair pay and benefits, definitely not, I'm just saying, if someone doesn't get me some quality TV soon I'M going to be the one breaking necks.

To prove just how damaging this whole issue is...last Thursday Kent left me all alone while he played basketball with his boyfriends. I had a mountain (think Everest) of laundry to fold which I enjoy more when I can have some witty and humorous TV show going at the same time. Well, I flipped through the 1,000,000 channels currently available on cable and came up empty-handed. You know what I settled on? This:



I will admit that we have subscribed to a few reality TV shows, but now without all the prime time sitcoms and such even those are getting stretched a bit too thin. I guess in one of their brainstorming meetings someone working for ABC, CBS, NBC, etc thought the next best filler was hokey game shows. Have you noticed how many of those have now come out of the woodwork? That is, along with every pilot episode the networks have sitting in their archives. What is America coming to?

Here is the really sad part to all of this...I actually, sort of, enjoyed "Don't Forget the Lyrics." Before you all judge me, let me at least attempt to explain myself.

1. It's hosted by Wayne Brady. Maybe this doesn't help my case, but I think Wayne Brady is adorable AND he's funny. He was really the only reason I ever watched any episodes of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?," definitely not for Drew Carey.

2. These people are NUTS and they're not afraid to show it! These are all the people who live in karaoke bars just waiting for their big breaks. Though some of them are just plain crazy.

So, if you're like me and you're struggling to find some mindless entertainment after a long day of work, try this out. You get to experience the whole "karaoke scene" and you don't have to come home smelling like smoke. Or at least you'll get some laughs in...

To any writers, producers, network executives reading this post: Please, please, please come to a compromise soon. Otherwise the TV-starved American public will be taking to the streets...think French Revolution style!

7 comments:

jaime said...

i won't lie. i too find myself enjoying "don't forget the lyrics" from time to time. and it's waaaaaayyyyy better than that dumb "singing bee" hosted by joey fatone of NSync.

but if you're looking for comedic entertainment, you should give "wife swap" a try. that show always makes me feel a little better about myself.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing "masterpiece theater" has been doing a jane austen marathon, I'd be going nuts!

Anonymous said...

Ps I left that last comment, and this one, during priesthood at church. Long live the blackberry!

Anonymous said...

two words, Melanie: sports.

Liesl said...

No, one word: Movies. So much better than watching a bunch of guys flip out over a sphere.

CoCo said...

OR if you're interested, come visit your friend Corey in southern California b/c she knows the person that does casting for the show and can see about getting you an audition! Seriously.

Melanie said...

Oh Corey...that is an offer and we are heading out to CA in April, but I can't go on that show! I make up more of my own words to songs than I actually know...