Sunday, January 20, 2008

Not Just a Greeting Card Holiday

I have heard of this belief that Valentine's Day is a holiday that was created by a conglomerate of greeting card, chocolate, and flower companies just to steal money from all the men with women in their lives. Lucky for Kent that he was born on this special day of love (February 14th) and even luckier for him that I love him enough to celebrate just his birthday on this day. However, I am the luckiest of all because my husband loves me enough to still participate in this ridiculous holiday, in fact, I get to celebrate it on a day just for me.


Last year Valentine's Day fell on January 19th, and Kent sent me flowers at work and took me out to dinner and a show, Shear Madness. This year the special day came on January 12th. The morning started with a delicious breakfast-in-bed that Kent had prepared for me, french toast with all the sides in individual bowls. The plans for the evening were a surprise to me and all I knew was that I needed to dress up for the occasion. So I tried to spruce myself up as best I could and when I came out of the shower Kent was there with flowers and a CARD. A card, ladies! And on top of that he had even written a sentimental message! The cutest, that's my husband.










So I finished the glamour process and we headed out for the train to go downtown...to the Boston Symphony Orchestra. This is something I have been wanting to do since I moved to Boston {ahem} 6 1/2 years ago so I was very excited that Kent had picked this for me. He is in fact quite thoughtful, don't let the eyebrows fool you. The BSO's program for the evening included Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor and An Alpine Symphony by Strauss. The BSO is housed in this beautifully old ornate concert hall that was first built in the early 1900s. I have experienced plenty of old buildings during my time here in Boston and it still amazes me that something built so long ago can still stand up to its original purpose. The music was absolutely fabulous AND I got to sit next to this really sharp-looking hot guy the whole time.















So here's to the men who love their wives/girlfriends enough to spend money on a "fake" holiday just to say "I Love You."

8 comments:

MamiJo said...

Way to go Kent! I was just going to write and ask if you'd picked a Mellentine Day yet for the year. And you both look smashing on your way to the BSO. (nice shave) Mark took me to the BSO on my 29th birthday and they played the same Beethoven piano concerto that I played as a sr. in high school but had never heard performed. Talk about amazing. Mark didn't even know.

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a sweet guy hiding behind that rough exterior.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Maybe Kent could instill some romantic sense in my husband...

jaime said...

kent. you're making jason look like a chump.

Kent said...

I apologize to all husbands who I am making look bad, but I have to admit I've been making men look bad for my entire life.

gary_hansen@byu.edu said...

And Rach 2nd Piano Concerto is so very romantic and nostalgic, too.

Sara said...

WOW...Kent?!! I didn't know you had it in you...the making french toast part ;)

Liesl said...

Yes, yes, congratulations, and all that jazz.