Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hey, thanks. Sincerely, The Earth.

Growing up, every time the national news came on or whatever, my dad would listen to what they were saying and then scoff. He always thought whatever the media said was dead-wrong and usually didn't stick around to hear any more of it. Being the impressionable youth that I was, I grew to be skeptical about what the media said.

Now that I'm older, I realize that my dad was correct in his scoffing. I'm not much of a newsie, but when I do come across something that I know/care about, usually I pay attention just long enough to figure out that they're WRONG, which allows me appropriate scoffage. The media is just as much a corporation as the corporations that they decry, except the difference is that the corporations the media hates aren't hiding the fact that they're in it for the money.

OF COURSE the major news channels are in it for the money, otherwise they wouldn't use every scare tactic in the book to get you to watch. The greatest part about this is that these scare tactics still work because everybody continually buys into the fact that your identity will be stolen the moment you log onto the interwebs, the earth will melt due to you driving to work in an SUV, and every person in your neighborhood has been, is currently, or will soon be a rapist.

Now this isn't a post to rip on the media, or the environmentalists, or rapists. It's really a plug for the very entertaining blog that I found just today. Although I like to substitute "white people" with "liberals" and it seems to make more sense.

While I'm here, I will get a nice little complaint in: those huge golf umbrellas have GOT to go. For those of you living in climates where it rains enough for people to own umbrellas, you know what I'm talking about. I understand the need to protect yourself from the rain, but there should be a limit on the size of the umbrellas. I think a 5 foot diameter is sufficient. After that, and you're just creating a huge traffic jam on every sidewalk. I saw this guy today wearing a ski parka with his hood on underneath this 10-foot monster umbrella. How much protection from the rain do you really need? Will a few drops on your shoes completely ruin your day? Arrrrggghhh!!! Okay, I'm done now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so this is the reason you stopped texting me today, claiming you had to "get back to work"?

May you be brutally murdered by your next-door neighbor tonight while watching American Idol.

Love,
Kurt

Brooke said...

Good find on the blog. I may even have to read more of it. I also agree that the substitution is much more appropriate.

jaime said...

here, here.

i also am a skeptic of the media.
but i'm pretty much skeptical of everyone/everything. however my most intense skepticism is directed toward the national news channels. bunch of commies...

except of course for fox news channel. they are fair AND balanced.

Pete and Repete said...

Wow, I visited that blog you found and saw the comment counts. I get excited when you guys post a double-digit blog. They're pulling in four-digits at times. Impressive.