Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Only Time Egg Salad Is Cool At School

Happy Easter Everyone!

We hope the Easter Bunny visits all your homes and treats you well.

I really like Easter. I'm not sure what it is about it. I mean, I like a lot of the holidays, but for some reason when I think of Easter it makes me really happy. Maybe it's because it usually symbolizes Spring and new life, maybe not. Here are some of the things that make Easter great:

1. It's a great reason to buy a new dress. And new shoes to go with the new dress. And new jewelry to accessorize the new dress and shoes. And a new bag to tie the whole outfit together.

2. Candy. Hello! At this point in my life I just like putting the baskets together for other people. I hope children don't read this. If they do, the baskets I put together are in addition to what the Easter Bunny brings. Yeah, that's why I'm good to know. You get twice as much loot when you stay with Aunt Melly.

3. Easter Egg hunts. We just got back from a visit with some good friends of mine from college. We did the annual "Easter Egg Hunt in the Dark." It was a little chilly, but nothing like an egg hunt to make you feel young again.

4. Another excuse to invite people over for dinner and force Kent to be social. This way I have people to talk to and usually he has a guy he can talk sports with. Sometimes a girl needs a break from speaking "ESPNish."

5. I think deviled eggs and egg salad sandwiches are delicious. They are. For sure they carry a strong and sometimes overpowering scent but so do fish and plenty of people love to eat them. On occasion my mom would make us egg salad sandwiches for our school lunches and while I loved them, it was always embarrassing to open your locker and stink up the hallway...no kid wants to be known as "The Stinky Lunch Kid."

I always loved waking up on Easter morning to go hunt for my basket. The "Easter Bunny" would usually hide all of them around our back yard and we would each have our 15 minutes of camera time. There were some years where the "Easter Bunny" had a little too much fun hiding the baskets, and we have home videos to prove it.

Probably my worst Easter memory was the year I had to go to the doctor on that bright Sunday morning. This may be TMI, but on that fateful Easter Eve, after a long day of shopping with my family for the annual Easter ensemble, I noticed an itchy black spot just under my armpit as I was getting ready for bed. I went downstairs to have my mom look at it, and it turns out it was a tick (we often went awandering through the woods around my house) that had burrowed over half of it's body into my skin (Is this too graphic?). So, my mom being the amateur witch doctor tried every home remedy in the books to get it to "back out." Needless to say all the poking, prodding, and burning were to no avail. So an appointment was scheduled for the next day to have the doctor remove it himself. I'll leave something to the imagination, but I'll set the scene by telling you that there was no anesthetic or pain killer and all he used was a needle and a pair of very sharp scissors.

And on that note, Happy Easter from our house to yours.

3 comments:

Kent said...

Let's hear it for Easter! I'm glad I have a wife who loves Easter because I'm pretty indifferent but yet I still clean up with a huge basket full of goodies and an Us Weekly.

Alice H said...

I haven't had an egg salad sandwich in so long! I agree, they are good. Have fun in Flower Mound - its only a 15 minute drive from where I grew up, Coppell. Its a small world!

JoEllen said...

Glad you had a good Easter. We're all very pleased to have some fresh candy in the jar, since the Halloween stuff is getting a bit stale. And we're thrilled you'll be visiting the tempermental weather state. Pack a sweater.
Are you going to church w/ us? We were hoping to bless Maxwell while you were here.