Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!

Budda-du-bup-bah, budda-du-bup-bah, budda-du-bup-bah-budda-da-doo...I'm back in the saddle again!

Think Steven Tyler from Aerosmith belting this out, mouth open like a hippo charging, tongue flapping in the wind. I never liked Aerosmith that much, maybe a few songs here and there, but let's admit to ourselves that all their songs sound the same. It reminds me of the SNL skit where they make fun of them.

I also never got why Aerosmith was portrayed as some superhuman rock band in movies like Wayne's World and what-not. I mean, they had a few hits, but they're no Led Zeppelin or even AC/DC. Any band that has 2 good songs per record is not that great. And how many people do you know that actually love Aerosmith? I know nobody. Not a single solitary sole soul.

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

As most of my more rabid fans know, I have not been posting or commenting on anybody's blog for about 3 weeks. That is because I do most of that during the daytime hours (read: work), and I have been BUSY BUSY BUSY at work. I know it's irritating when people talk about how much they work, but I'm going to say that these last 3 weeks I have put in 60 hour weeks and that's a lot for me. Now you lawyers and I-bankers can snicker all you want, but I was not built for a 60 hour work week. I was built for a 10 hour week, but apparently you need to work at least 40 hours to get any sort of benefits around here.

On that same subject, don't you think that people always exaggerate how much they work? I know I do. I just told you I worked 3 60-hour work weeks, when it was more like 55, 62, and then 55 again. So I rounded the 2 sub-60 weeks up. I'm betting when people tell you how many hours a week they work they actually take the worst week of the whole year when they worked 80, and tell you that they work that many. So now when people ask me how many hours I have to work I can say 60 a week, even though it was only that one week. In reality, I probably work about 45 a week, 50 during the busy season. That 62 week was a personal record. I also have never had to work on a Saturday or Sunday. I've had to fly on Sundays, and I've come into the office on a Saturday for maybe an hour or two, and maybe I've logged in from home for a couple hours on either day, but I have pretty decent hours. And I don't have to travel much at all. So that's good.

So what to write about? We just came back from Dallas, Mel will write about that (Heaven knows I won't touch the subject-I don't write about happenings. I scoff at happenings). It's too far into the post to start one of my groundbreaking rankings or lists. I've been thinking about writing a Charles Dickens-esque story that will come in weekly installments. But that may be too much of an undertaking. Maybe monthly installments. And Dickens-esque only in the sense that it will be in installments. There will be no Tiny Tim. There will be no Tom Thumb. And there will CERTAINLY be no Tony the Tunisian Turtle. I've had it just about up to here with Quadruple T.

(Yes, I realize that Tom Thumb is not a Dickens character. But neither is Tony the Tunisian Turtle, but you didn't point that one out, did you? It's absurd to think that Dickens wrote about a turtle from Tunisia who wears a bandanna and shades and has a big curvy sword and flies around on a magic carpet, saving beautiful princesses from fiery deaths at the hands of evil gypsy crocodiles. Maybe I WILL write about Quadruple T. This has Disney movie rights written all over it.)

Anyway, I don't know if the installments thing will work out or even happen. But I like to write. And I like to write my posts in my head before I put them out on the World Wide Internets. And yes, that joke will never get old. The one where I call the Internet different things like "Interwebs" and such. Geez.

So everybody check your blogs, I've spent the day catching up and leaving comments as I deemed necessary. And then come back here soon for some rootin'-tootin' fun!

5 comments:

Pete said...

I completely agree that people overstate their hours when sharing sob stories with friends or relatives. Of course with lawyers you also have the breakdown between hours at work and hours billed. For instance, since I am in phase down at work, no one in their right mind will give me projects (I will still get projects) but I won't be billing more than 25 hours a week, though I will be here at work for at least 40 hours a week. Who knows what the lawyers are telling you when they say "60 hour week".

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Thank you Kent, for another meandering down the street in your mind. "The street in your mind, dear." That being said, I do about 1-2 hours of actual work at work. Which is why this last month has been so hard...my downtime at work has significantly decreased.

jaime said...

nice to have you back.

i'm pretty sure i could say i work at least 21 hours a day and not be exaggerating. (and yes. i am counting being a stay-at-home mom as work.)

so boo-ya.

jaime said...

kent. i have come back (multiple times) for some "rootin' tootin" fun, and found nothing.

what are you busy or something?

Brooke said...

Well done Kent. After I read this blog I went and checked my comments and saw that you and Melanie both had been there! I love comments. Why is that?

PS Mel offered to babysit sometime... we may have to take you guys up on the offer:)