Friday, April 18, 2008

Tony Soprano Goes Country

Tony Soprano has nothing to do with country, but neither do the two subjects I'm posting about. The first is just something rather comical (in retrospect) that happened to me at work last week. On occasion at work I have to deal with patients, usually the angry or upset kind. Well, one patient had accused an employee of stealing $5,000 cash from him. (NOTE: For those of you who know where I work, this accusation is completely false, so don't worry). He claims he came in with $11,000 in cash and only got credit for $6,000. Who carries that much cash around? Who??

So a meeting is set up with the director of the clinic, myself, and this patient - at his request. So in comes this skinny, older, Italian man with Gucci glasses and a golf umbrella. The introductions commence, and he sits down, immediately going into this tirade about the "Liar" and "thief" that stole his money. We tried to slow him down, get him to explain what he believes happened, politely listening. Then we tried to explain what we understood and what we had as evidence. He just kept getting more heated informing us that he was "not a feeble old man." Sir, I would never believe that about you...trust me, not with that look in your eye. As we try to calmly assess the situation he continues to interrupt us in a condescending tone. The highlight of the conversation was when he threw out such gems as the following (and these are direct quotes):
  • "I can forgive a murderer before I can a liar or a thief."
  • "I am 76 years old and if this was 50 years ago, I would have punched her to death."
  • "There are cemeteries full of dead guys, and how do you think they got there?"
And one of my favorites: When I asked him if he had an account statement showing a withdrawal of cash in the amount he claims he brought with him...
  • "Do I look like a guy who would have a bank account?"
Oh, I'm sorry sir, I didn't realize you could tell who participated in the institutionalized banking system just by looking at them...And let's just say that I, for one, am grateful that it's not 50 years ago and the "justice" system has evolved a little...

And now to the country...the long-awaited Dallas update that Kent nags about but refuses to do himself.

At the end of March I had a conference for work in Dallas so Kent tagged along so we could mix business with pleasure and visit JoEllen and her family. I have to go on record that these are some of the cutest kids I've ever met...not just in looks but also in personality. And I think it's important to report that the rift between Kent and Matthew that was created at Christmas has been bridged. In fact, this fact was made very clear when I went to visit the Morris' on my last day there, without Kent, and Matthew went straight into a depression when he opened the door and found Aunt Melly, Uncle Kent-less. But my feelings weren't hurt because I had Katrina and Maxwell to soften the blow. Kent obviously was able to spend more time with JoEllen and Co. than I was, but I tried to enjoy whatever time I had with them. For Family Night Kent hosted Kite flying and I think it's safe to say he enjoyed it much more than anyone else involved. Each kid took a turn with the SpiderMan kite, and Dora was left grounded without a spine (or whatever you call that stick that goes across the back).
And, if you haven't already, make sure you read the next installment of Terrence and vote...

8 comments:

jaime said...

that story about the guy from work is priceless. i love angry customer stories. angry people say the darndest things. i guess in this case that would include incriminating oneself for multiple murders.

looks like you had fun in tx. we are so excited for you guys to head out here.

Brooke said...

Doesn't look as hot as they say it is in TX... what's all the fuss?

Melanie, did you cut your hair? I feel like I haven't seen you in months.

Anonymous said...

entertaining story, melanie. but the justice system definitely has not evolved in the past 50 years, if by evolved you mean improved.

Unknown said...

That is a whole lot of cash that man says he had. I can't stop thinking about how much room it would take up. You pictures of Texas made me homesick. I love all that dead grass. Texas has made me crazy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this long-awaited posting, Melanie. It's nice to hear what you're doing now and then. But where in the world do you work?

Anonymous said...

I must say, the biceps of that JoEllen character are certainly looking beefy. yikes!

Kristin said...

I would sleep with a gun under my pillow if I were you. You could very well be on that guys hit list! Now that I've ruined your day let me add that I'd be interested to know what exactly happened to the money...

Also, gotta say those are some seriously cute kids!

Kent said...

I'm very proud of my wife for standing up to the gangsta, and also for her posting. We should all agree it's better than my nonsense.