Friday, April 18, 2008

Not Entirely About Terrence

By my count, Annette had 8 votes, Anita had 5, and Annie had 5. Thanks for all who read and voted. I apologize for the long posts but I should probably say that this is optional reading, you will not be tested on this. So that means you DON'T HAVE TO READ IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. It is purely for entertainment, and hopefully you will be entertained. I will try to keep it succinct and not boring. And for those of you who want pictures and updates about the Hansens, well, I don't know what to tell you. The person responsible for that is clearly not on the ball. There's only so much nagging I can do.

So, enjoy the 2nd chapter and please, please, PLEASE vote. I am having a fun time doing this so I thank you all for your support.


Not Entirely About Terrence

by Kent Hansen

Chapter 2

Ward FHE


Monday, September 8, 2003

4:23 PM

After a long day of checking out chicks at the library, the Wilk, the Wall, and in class, it was nice to get back to the apartment for a little late-afternoon Seinfeld. It wasn't long before our hero Terrence made his way back home from the UVSC Wolverines.

"Hey Terrence," said I.

"Hey rancher," said he, "You working hard or hardly working?!"

[Forced laugh]

Terrence piled his body onto the couch and dropped his bag on the floor. We sat there in awkward silence during a Nasonex commercial, watching that bee zip around the screen and wondering what a bee has to do with mucus. Finally, I broke it with a query:

"So, did you decide which girl you're going to ask out?"

"Yesirreerobert! I already done it. Called her this mornin'."

"This morning? What time? Who was it?"

"Annette. I think I have a lot in common with her, so I decided on her. I called her right before my 8 AM class."

Eight o'clock in the freaking AM! It boggles the mind. For those of you following along, Terrence broke 2 rules here: first of all, Terrence calls this girl not 1 day after he gets her number, breaking rule #34, and second of all, he calls her before 8 am on a Monday!

"So, uh, what'd she say?"

"She'd been up since 5 am! Used to the farm life and all that, she had to get up super early to finish her homework that she couldn't do on the Sabbath. She was tickled pink to go out with me!"

"Wow."

"I know! I'm tremendously stoked. We're going out Fridee."

I shuddered at the thought of 2 complete Zoobs going out and pictured what a great time they'd have. I imagined them opening the date with a scripture, walking down to Cafe Rio to get a side of rice, then heading to Movies 8 to walk out of a PG-13 movie, finishing it off with a friendly handshake. I almost entertained the idea of following them for comedy's sake.

"What are you gonna do Fridee?" asked Terrence.

"Oh, I don't have much planned right now. It's only Monday."

"That's great, because her roommate isn't doing nothin' either and you can double with us!" His eyes were bulging with excitement.

My heart sank. I was NOT prepared for this. I had no ready-made excuse, I had just said that my Friday was free and he had me cornered. Maybe her roommate was hot, though. This may be fun.

"What's her roommate like?"

"Oh, she's a real sweetie, her name's Melba."

"Like the toast?"

"What?"

"Never mind."

A "sweetie" named Melba. NOT a good start. This girl was for sure a chunkster from American Fark. But what could I do? I was stuck.

Terrence got off the couch and slapped me thunderously on the back while walking out, "We'll have a great time!"

9:33 PM

Tonight was the first FHE of the semester, which means that FHE "families" haven't yet been created. This is the only palatable time to go to FHE, when the entire ward goes and has some activity built around food, folks, and fun. It's also a great time to look like Mormon Dad material, being active at FHE and all that, if only for one week.

The Steves and I crawled into Chris's Nissan Sentra and headed out to Kiwani's to meet the rest of the ward there. We showed up fashionably late as usual, 10 minutes after Mormon Standard Time, which varies depending on the ward, in this case 20 minutes. The key to a successful ward FHE is to be the guy everybody knew you could be. In Church you're super suave, at Ward Prayer you're too cool for school, but at FHE you're that nice guy with an appropriate sense of humor and good-looking to boot. This is the exact time and place to win over all the ladies. This is what you've been preparing your whole life for. The pressure was on.

The barbecue had just begun and a large line was forming. If you want the good pickin's for the food, you get in front of the line. If you're there for the ladies, you go to the back. That way, you're the last person to pick a seat, which means you can strategically sit next to that cutie you've had your eye on. Of course, once the semester wears on and all the girls become old news, you cut your way to the front of the line, grab maximum food, eat, and run.

I spotted Terrence from the back of the line. He was near the front, cramming his plate full of hot dogs, hamburgers, and chips. I chuckled to myself, self-righteously. Terrence always looks like an ogre. It looked like he had a nice place in line, though, a couple of lookers were right behind him. Not only that, but they followed him to the table he chose and sat right next to him! I figured one of them was Annette, so maybe the other was Melba...I wouldn't mind being the cheese on her Melba toast.

This fantasy was interrupted by the squatty person directly in front of me:

"Hi," squatty said, reaching out her hand, "I'm Annette."

"Hello, Annette," I said, eyes darting to find a way out of what should be a downright unbearable conversation, especially given the length of this line. The worst part was that this ruled out Terrence's cute friends as Annette and Melba, since I was guessing that Melba was the sturdy woman gnawing on a turkey bone behind Annette.

"This is my roommate, Melba." Melba nodded, not leaving her bone for even a second. "Do you have a name?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm Chris."

"Are you Terrence's roommate?"

"Uh...yeah."

For the next 15 minutes, Annette told me her life story. Her monologue stated that she grew up on a farm in Michigan, she was a Senior graduating in MFHD, and she was clearly desperate to get engaged.

"I need to get married this year. If I don't get married before I graduate, it may never happen. Girls at my age, 22, are too old to be running around husbandless, when really we need to be at home procreating. It may come as a surprise to you that I've never had a BF, but it's true. But I've got a date on Friday with Terrence, and Melba's going with his roommate, Chris. Which I believe is you."

I nodded.

"But enough about you. Let's go over and talk to Terrence. I know Terrence likes me cause he called me only one day after getting my number and he called me at 7:45 in the morning."

The worst part about meeting new people is that you always run the risk of getting a roper, someone who will rope you in for the rest of the evening. You can make excuses, but unless you plan on leaving altogether, the roper will always find you later. Annette had roped me in, and my only hope was to pawn her off on Terrence. That wasn't entirely bad, as I was still interested in meeting Terrence's friends.

We grabbed our food and sat down next to Terrence and Cute Friends. Of the 2, I was particularly fond of the brunette. She couldn't be claimed as The Hottest Girl in the Ward, but she was a natural beauty, didn't wear much makeup, wore stylish but not trendy clothes, and was definitely marriage material. Terrence stood up when we arrived.

"Oh, hey guys! Siddown, siddown! Chris, I see you've met Annette and Melba. I'd like you to meet my friends, Annie and Brooke." I waved, the girls waved back. Based on the order of introduction, Annie was the name of the brunette, and, as I recall, Annie was one of the 3 girls Terrence had gotten a number from. Annette stared down the 2, not immediately knowing which girl was pouncing upon her suitor. Melba had already stuffed her mouth with potato salad and just nodded to all present. Maybe it was too much time with Terrence, or maybe it was the stink eye that Annette had given her, but Annie seemed pretty happy to welcome a new male to the table.

"Hi! Are you Terrence's roomie?"

"Yeah, that's me. The infamous roommate of Terrence. I trust he's portrayed me in a half-decent light, at least?"

"Oh you know Terrence is way too nice to defame anybody, including people deserving defamation such as yourself." This is nice. It looks like she has a brain and a sense of humor, two things I look for in a woman, not necessarily in that order. Plus, Terrence looked genuinely lost.

Annette piped up. "Chris is my friend, we've known each other for a while," she stated while grabbing my hand and watching Terrence out of the corner of her eye. Terrence had a confused look on his face still. I cringed and pried my hand away, shoving it into my pocket. Annette turned her attention squarely to Terrence. "So, T, what are we going to do on our big date on Friday? I know Chris and Melba are very excited to spend the evening together."

Terrence blushed and half-smiled at Annie, who looked highly amused. "Well, Annette, it's gonna be a surprise."

While Annette and Terrence battled over the details of the upcoming date, Annie looked at me with a mischievous grin and asked, "So, Chris, how long have you and Melba been dating?"

"Oh, you know, for a couple of years now. She waited for me while I was on my mission, and she's been very faithful even though I'm very abusive." Melba's eyes perked up with delight. Annie smiled flirtatiously and I knew she was mine for the taking.

Call me conceited if you will, but there's a moment in every conversation with the opposite sex when you know that the other person wants you. Usually it's just that look in the eye, the shy smile, the subtle raise of the eyebrows. I probably have this moment more than most, of course, because I'm so desirable.

As Annette FCP'ed Terrence (FCP: Verb. Derived from the English phrase Full Court Press. To shower with attention; to need to know everything about someone; to invite to all upcoming activities.), Melba eyed me adoringly, Brooke sat at the table bored stiff, and Annie and I flirted, I wondered whether to ask Annie for her number. You may not think that it's a big deal, but you don't just ask for numbers of girls like Annie. Some points to consider:

1. Annie was a keeper. Attractive, funny, smart, etc. This was no NCMO.
2. Annie is a wardie. She's not going anywhere. No need to rush this.
3. The semester is young. Don't wanna get tied down with a girlfriend until at least November. There are quite a few wardies that are lookers, plus all the girls at the Cougs.
4. I'm young. Don't wanna be the guy that gets married too fast.
5. Terrence got her number and looks interested in her. Do I cut his grass? I'm not his best friend, but I'm still his roommate, there's at least a little bit of loyalty there.

What I'm saying is this: Because Annie is a keeper, I can't lose my chance by acting too fast. If I get her number now, that means I have to call her, which means I have to ask her out, which means I have to date her, which means if I fail in any of these things, I'm a jerk and I've ruined my chance. I'd rather just take it slow. That way, we can build the friendship, maybe keep the tension going for a while and I'll take her out in mid to late October.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut, she's a cutie and she's fun to talk to and she looks like she's interested in me. Should I ask for her number?

SHOULD CHRIS ASK FOR ANNIE'S NUMBER? PLEASE VOTE AND JOIN IN NEXT TIME AS TERRENCE GOES OUT WITH ANNETTE.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Kent, that seemed a little more doable, reading-wise. And I vote that Chris not ask Annie for her phone number yet. He can't look too anxious. And besides that, isn't she going to be on the ward list?

Pete said...

I think it would be bad form to ask for Annie's number in front of Terrence, not to mention Annette and Melba. I don't want Chris to write Melba off so soon just because she loves turkey.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Lets keep the tension going. No number.

Anonymous said...

I don't think he should EVER get her number. Hanging out is definitely the way to go. Everyone should just hang out with the person they're interested in until they finally propose while sitting on the couch during halftime of Monday Night Football.

Kristin said...

I would like Mr. Cool Guy to ask for the number and have Annie do an about face on thinking he was "Mr. Cool Guy". Maybe he wouldn't feel so cool anymore. I mean Terrence will be learning things the hard way. It would be fun to see Chris break one of his own rules and suffer the consequences...mwa hahahahahhaha! Evil laugh makes me wonder if I have old anger issues I need to address about the Zoobie dating world. We're all expecting him to play it cool and not ask.....so take the less predictable route!

Melanie said...

I agree Kristin! I told Kent that Chris needed to ask for the number despite all these Lame-o reasons that he shouldn't...But then it quickly became clear that because I have no experience in this BYU dating market (which is what it is) I can't really know what I'm talking about. If you ask me, a guy is somewhat interested, whether friendly or romantic, he should just pursue her company. Getting a phone number does not equal declaration of a commitment. And I'm sorry ladies, but girls who feel that way should lighten up.

Anonymous said...

Lots of strong opinions here. Mostly I'm disappointed this wasn't about Mormon Ricky (BOD). Keep the tension going? What is this, an LDS romance novel? Forget the marriage angle since Chris's whole ideal is way too immature to get married, he might as well NCMO. It's probably what she wants anyway. Get her number tonight for a date the next night.

Brooke said...

I say wait on the #... it really is the quintessential style of the BYU dating scene.

Personally, I'd say ask for the # if one's interested... but that's not the point. You gotta go with the flow of the story:)

Either way I'll enjoy the story! Keep it coming!

Brooke said...

PS Why is this Brooke character bored out of her mind?

It's probably because she really is WAY TOO COOL for all the nonsense going on around her:)

jaime said...

i'm with melanie. get the number now. but i am notorious for being ultra direct and enjoying when others are as well.

but again. my byu dating experience was waaaaaaaaaaaaay different than all the events discussed in these posts. let's just say i only went on 1 group date during my 5 years in provo...and it was with my home teacher.

so what do i know? maybe i should stop voting. i don't wanna skew the results.

Brian said...

"But I've got a date on Friday with Terrence, and Melba's going with his roommate, Chris. Which I believe is you." Classic Kent humor. I about died when I read it.

Don't go for the #. What's the hurry? Of course, maybe that's why I'm in my current situation: no hurry. Anyway, this story's about Terrence, not Chris, I thought.

Melissa said...

Definately no number. Too fast.

Unknown said...

No number. I also believe in not rushing. In fact I think they should date for 4 and 1/2 years, at least. But also especially not with Terrence being right there. Chris doesn't know if he's a crier and he has to live with him for the whole semester.

D Welling said...

No number. Make her wonder. Would be kind of a lame thing to do to ask for the # in front of Melba. Annie knows Chris likely doesn't have interest in Melba...but, she may be a little jealous knowing Chris is out with her on Friday night...even if it is just a subconscious jealousy she isn't cognitively aware of.

Anonymous said...

I say, get the DIGIS and get 'em FAST. Even if you have the number, it doesn't mean you are signing up for a year-long (or eternity-long) committment. You can always 'hang-out' after you get the DIGIS. Plus, Chris seems like the cool Coug, and that type of person would never let his roommate or another guy/girl stop him from hangin with a definite cutie/looker like Annie. Plus, it will clear up any doubt Melba's Toast may get during their date on Fridee that Chris is hers.

Anonymous said...

I think Chris should wait until the ward list comes out . . . or ask Terrance for Annie's number when they get home. If Terrance is a crier (and he probably is) he can sob in the privacy of his own home.

Anonymous said...

Let's make this story interesting, and I think a good ol' apartment fight over girls will be good, especially if Terrence seems to be cloud nine. Plus you have to consider all those other zoobs in the ward who will "F.C.P." Annie when they get a chance. Get her number, Chris.

The Faustino Ohana said...

If you get her number now, you show her your cards. If he was the real deal he'd know and test if he really made the impression by waiting. C'mon man this is the Y, you can't end your game of go fish when the fish haven't even been properly scoped yet. If Kent, I mean Chris is so confident drop the bait and keep feeding the line while fishing. Depends on how much more bait you think you got though. Also, she's a wardie, you don't even know if you're in the same FHE group yet.

Predictable...yes, well this is ptown we're talking about.

Also she's whitty and attractive... ha... she'd probably do the same to you - hard to come by. So what does it matter unless your jonesing for a wife.

JoEllen said...

Well, I know what Kent would have done. He would have not gotten the number, but hung around and insulted her until she thought he hated her. Btw, no way would Annie be NCMO material since she was the "spirtchal gal" who teaches Sunday School. That would completely blow her cover.
So let's keep it rolling with no #.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, what's going on? Did I miss anything?

Pete and Repete said...

Have you collected the votes yet? -I vote no on ballot initiative #2.