Monday, June 23, 2008

One Year Down, Eternity to Go

I'm sure many of you have begun to wonder whether or not I even know how to post a blog entry as Kent does the Lion's share of posting...I have had a few ideas to blog about, but most of them have centered around complaining or whining about how rude other people are, so I've held back. However, I finally came across something a little more pleasant to blog about.

This past Saturday Kent and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary. On Friday night we drove up to Sharon, VT to participate in our ward campout, how romantic. Kent did make sure to let everyone know that it was our anniversary, so we got plenty of "oohs" and "aahs." However, it was usually followed up with Kent's "Yeah, I didn't even think we would make it." Real nice...

Saturday turned out to be a pretty nice day. We started out with a game of kickball, my team beating Kent's, of course. Then we drove into the little town to eat lunch at a place that boasted 24 flavors of soft serve. Sounds exciting, but not so much. I went with the always reliable butterscotch-dipped vanilla cone (thanks Corey!), but Kent tried the black raspberry which turned out to be more of a hint of raspberry - a little disappointing but ice cream is ice cream, especially on a hot day. When we got back to the campground we hung out for a bit and then managed to throw all of our gear in the back of the car before the torrential downpour started.

We had originally planned to "celebrate" the anniversary on Sunday as we didn't think we would get home early enough on Saturday. However, with the rain pushing us out, Kent thought Saturday would be a better night. So when we got home I was told to stay in the bedroom so he could prepare our evening. Eventually I was welcomed into the living room where a candle-lit table and a formally-dressed Kent awaited me. He had cooked us a nice steak dinner and even had a romantic soundtrack playing in the background. He also gave me a potted rose bush that I can plant in our new garden, if I manage to keep it alive long enough.

After dinner Kent had put together a musical playlist that we could use to dance the night away. And did we! At our wedding one of our favorite things was all the dancing we got to do so this was a nice way to remember that day. It may sound a bit hokey or silly, but I fully recommend this to all couples, it doesn't even have to be a special event. As long as you put on music you both like and you both get into it, you can have A LOT of fun together. Just find a babysitter if needed, close the blinds, and pump up the jams. You can try out new moves on each other, dust off some old ones, or jump around like idiots. Any way you go, you'll end up having a lot of fun and remembering just why this person is your favorite - because you can act like an idiot and they still look at you like you're the hottest, funniest, smartest person they've ever seen.

They say the first year is the hardest, but Kent and I have marveled at how easy this year has been together. Sure, we're learning a lot of little things about each other, some that we don't like so much, but above all we seem to be validating the choice we made. I'm excited to see Kent every chance I get and tell him all the things I saw, heard, or did each day (even though he may not share my enthusiasm for the details). He has continued to become my best friend and is easily my favorite person. He has so many great qualities, quite a few that I don't think a lot of people get to see. He is always honest (sometimes TOO honest), sincere, and looking out for our best interest. While we don't characterize this year as "hard," I can definitely look back and see all the different ways each of us has changed and learned new things about ourselves and our relationship. Hopefully the years to come will be just as much fun.

6 comments:

jaime said...

congrats you two lovebirds.

our first year of marriage sucked. maybe it's because we had a insta-family, got pregnant, moved out of state, and attended law school all within that first year. actually all within the first month. i dunno. it's just a guess.

glad your first year was a winner. i must say i'm impressed with kent and his planning of romantic festivities. i think he deserves a shout out...

gary_hansen@byu.edu said...

Congratulations and thanks for writing.

JoEllen said...

Wow Kent, you are vying with Mark with your planning!
We went to the Joseph Smith Campout too (not to be confused w/ a J.S. Sleepover, where 8 of you are in 1 bed). It started raining on the way there and did not stop until we were almost home the next afternoon. Pregnant w/ #3, in a borrowed leaky tent, is it any wonder we have not gone camping since? The girls, however, loved it.

Liesl said...

Congratulations on the year anniversary! I was thinking about that the other day. I must confess, your wedding is the one I had the most fun at because of the dancing. It also was one of the more enjoyable dances I went to because the music was good in taste, the people were all very fun, and I didn't feel like I had to impress anyone. Bravo, and I'm very glad you're a part of this family.

CS said...

oh melly! i love your description of dancing together... you have definitely captured the aura of true love right there!!! :) congrats!

Brooke said...

Congrats guys! Quite a mushy blog for you two... I'm impressed:)