Tuesday, February 12, 2013

14 Days of Kent: Day 12

As I have gotten older I have really started to perfect being lazy. You would think that would be impossible now that I have two kids, but somehow I manage it. Basically any second that I’m not doing something for the kids, I try to loaf about. Kent, on the other hand, is not very good at being lazy. He may have some lazy Saturday mornings where he gets in some good Civ time, but it doesn’t last too long. Some days it makes me a little crazy, but most days I really appreciate that he works so hard.

I think this is a trait he gets from his mother. Kent has often commented how hard his mother works and how amazed he is by how much she does. I find it interesting that he doesn’t notice the same characteristic in himself. Perhaps because he may throw out a complaint here or there he discounts just how hard he really does work.

It often amazes me how much energy Kent seems to have while working. When we first moved into our house four years ago, the back yard needed some serious work. We decided to rototill it ourselves, piece of cake, right? Yeah…not so much. We forgot that this is New England and we grow rocks here not to mention our contractor had decided to bury a pile of trash and the remnants of an old horse barn back there. It took FOREVER to till through the ground and get it ready for grass seed. Honestly, my arms still ache from dragging and pushing that rototiller through the yard. 

Kent tries to find new projects for himself all the time. He chooses not to have a riding mower because he “needs the exercise.” He hauls mulch and compost, plants a wide variety of plants, laid a brick path, built garden boxes, and much more. And that’s only in the yard! The crazy thing is he’s always happiest when he has a project. I’m a little worried that he’s going to run out of improvement projects and I’m going to come home one day and he’ll have gutted our master bath. Actually, I take that back, I’m fine if he does that. Are you reading this Kent?

Inside the house he does laundry, dishes, mops the kitchen floor, and cleans up the basement. On top of that he works about 50-60 hours per week for his job. I’m really grateful that Kent works so hard outside of the home because it has now allowed me to stay at home with our kids. What a gift that is! It might not be his “dream job,” whatever that is, but he knows it is something he does well at and can succeed in. And he doesn’t stop there. Somewhere he finds just enough energy to come home and rough house with Hendrik, which is something only the two of them do. Mommy is not a rough houser, mommy is a snuggler and a story reader.

I really appreciate Kent’s hard working example because it encourages me to be better. I think he even knows that if he gets up and starts cleaning or doing the dishes it prompts me to do the same. Maybe a bit of a guilty conscience, but whatever works, right? I’m grateful that he works so hard and so tirelessly for our family and I really love him for it.

Teaching Hendrik the importance of watering
The boulder we encountered while digging a hole for the apple tree

1 comment:

Brian said...

It would have been nice if you would have enlarged the picture with Hendrik in it so we could get a closeup of his cuteness.