Wednesday, February 13, 2013

14 Days of Kent: Day 13

I do think being born on Valentine’s Day has made a mark on Kent. This may surprise a few people, but Kent is really romantic. And thoughtful. And creative in his thoughtfulness.

If you know me, you know I love chick flicks. I love romantic, true love stories, and happy endings. Everyone deserves a happy ending, don’t you think? There is so much sadness in the world I don’t need to watch a show/movie or read a book about that! I can watch the news. For my entertainment I like a good, happy, perhaps a bit cheesy love story. I just never thought in a million years I would get that in my marriage. I kind of feel like I don’t deserve it, but Kent gives it to me anyway.

Case 1: In 2007, we planned to celebrate Kent’s birthday on 2/14, like the previous year, and I did not want nor expect anything for me. I was surprised in mid-January when I received flowers at work from Kent with a note that we were celebrating Mellintine’s Day! He took me to a show and made me feel very loved and special. I mean, does anyone else get a special holiday just for them? That tradition has continued each year, although we usually celebrate it in March instead.

Case 2: THE Proposal. (You can find more detail in this blog post.) Kent decided he really wanted to surprise me, so he purposely avoided discussing marriage with me, and I wasn’t going to bring it up since things were finally going smoothly in our relationship. The week of he told me he had to work late most nights, which was believable since it was his busy season. So I really didn’t see him much that week, but that Friday I received two dozen red roses at work with a note that said we were going to do a scavenger hunt after work. I really wasn’t sure if he was serious or not, especially considering they were forecasting a pretty heavy snowstorm that night. Turns out he really had planned a scavenger hunt for me, taking me through our dating history and landmarks throughout Boston that meant something to us. I trudged through inches of snow all over Boston and had a blast. At one point I did think maybe this was a bit much for just a date night, but convinced myself it wasn’t a proposal because, hello, we hadn’t discussed it! This is why you shouldn’t second guess yourself…It all ended outside of the courthouse, next to the water, which normally would have been a beautiful view if not for the white-out conditions. When he got down on one knee I honestly couldn’t believe it! Literally, my brain stopped functioning, so unfortunately Kent didn’t get the reaction he was hoping for. I mean, I said “Yes” of course, but he was expecting some tears, maybe more visible excitement, but well, you can’t truly surprise me if you want a real reaction. I do feel horrible considering it was one of the most romantic gestures I’ve ever experienced. I honestly never thought I would get a proposal like that. I had decided that I would probably get proposed to while we were sitting on the couch watching TV. Fortunately I was very, very wrong.

Can you even stand all the cuteness in this picture?

Case 3: Christmas 2010. I think Kent tries to out-do his presents each year from the previous year. We’re getting into dangerous territory folks, mostly because it makes me feel like I have to top him. I’m pretty sure at this point Kent is getting a new car next year. Just kidding, that’s crazy! But everything else about the gift giving is true.  So, Christmas 2010, I’m opening my gifts from Kent, and there is definitely a pattern: one “normal” gift item, like a sweater, and a more random item, like dried pineapple. At first I just thought it was Kent being Kent (he does random things sometimes), but then he asked, “Are you noticing a pattern?” So I took stock of the random items: tropical flavored gum, dried pineapple, coconut. “Uh, are you making a pina colada?” Then he handed me an envelope and inside I found a brochure about a Hawaiian resort. A week in Hawaii! Awesome all on its own, but he knew that I had yet to go on a real tropical vacation (my cruise to the Bahamas is its own post). By the way, sans Hendrik. This was also another instance where he surprised me and I did not show the expected amount of excitement. It’s kind of cute that he keeps trying to surprise me anyway, right?

Kent takes some really beautiful photos too...
All of those are BIG romantic moments, but he romances me in little ways every day. For instance, he manages our Netflix queue (and I do mean manages) and he adds chick flicks on there for me just because he knows I love them. AND he watches them with me once they arrive. Okay, sort of watches while he plays Civ. He finds songs that make him think of me or us and tells me about it. He holds my hand when we’re in the car or walking around somewhere. He opens doors for me, when I give him the chance. 

On Mother’s Day and my birthday he makes me breakfast, often in bed, a special dinner, and actually bakes a birthday cake for me. He even drew me a card the Mother’s Day I was pregnant with Hendrik. He makes note of things I like, but don’t buy, and gets them for me for birthdays and Christmas. HE PAYS ATTENTION. He also started the tradition that we spend our Anniversary night away from home. This is an important tradition I think everyone should do. Don’t shrug off your anniversary because you’re too busy. This is the day your family began! Honor it and each other!

I have always loved romantic stories and gestures but never expected to have them myself. I am so grateful to be spoiled by a husband who loves me so much. I’m seriously trying to play catch up with this “14 Days of Kent” and I will still fall drastically short.

1 comment:

Brian said...

That's a heck of a picture of Hawaii. A nice 'un. I saved it for meself.