Friday, February 8, 2013

14 Days of Kent: Day 8

A long time ago Kent told me that he really doesn’t like it when asked, “What kind of music do you like?” and someone replies with, “I like everything.” He felt like that just meant they didn’t really know what they liked. Honestly, I was one of those people. But I really believed that I liked a little bit of everything, as long as it was good music. For the record, I don’t consider heavy metal music, so no, I don’t like that.

Really Kent isn’t as much of a snob as that makes him sound. He just thinks if that is your response, you should still be able to pull out a few artists, songs, or genres that you actually like. This is because Kent himself likes a wide variety of music. I know he has even listened to a country song or two and “liked” it! At least enough to keep it in his iTunes library. I make a specific note of that because I happen to like quite a bit of country and Kent loves to tease me about it.

It often amazes me how he is able to remember the names of so many bands and songs. I’m horrible at recalling those things, even if it’s a song I’ve heard a million times and know all the words to. He listens to rock, alternative, pop (some), classical, and yes, even a teeny-tiny bit of country. Kent likes to find good quality artists, no matter what genre they happen to fall under. In fact a co-worker of his gave him a bunch of music a while ago and he has been systematically listening through it to figure out what he does and doesn’t like. He’s found a number of new artists/songs that way, which allows us to broaden our musical library even more. I say “us” because we share the same music library and playlists, all cultivated by Kent. Since my life with Kent began, he has helped me broaden my musical horizons, and I’m grateful for it.

Kent’s interest in music has also helped him learn to play the piano and guitar. He was even in a band in college with some of his friends. Awesome, right? Doesn’t everybody want to marry a rock star? They recorded some of their songs, which are included in our music library. One of my favorite things about his guitar-playing skills is that he plays for Hendrik almost every night as part of his bedtime routine. In fact, if Kent has to travel for work, it is very disappointing for Hendrik that I can’t do the same. I think it has already helped Hendrik develop a strong appreciation for music, as he loves to dance and sing songs. Kent is pretty proud of the fact that Hendrik can recognize and sing along to “our music” and not just the kiddie songs. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that music, Hendrik certainly enjoys it. And it’s pretty adorable to watch him sing the theme song to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Kent’s love of music, like his laugh, is infectious and I’m grateful that he is building up the music appreciation in our family. He hopes to one day teach Hendrik how to play guitar and they can jam together. He was even able to convince me to do something I never thought I would: sing in front of an audience. The first Hansen Family Reunion I attended, we sang a song for the family talent show. I was scared out of my mind, but I’m pretty proud of myself for actually doing it. Kent has the ability to get me to try things I normally wouldn’t and support me throughout the effort. 

No comments: