Sunday, February 3, 2013

14 Days of Kent: Day 3


Today’s post got significantly delayed, but I wanted to make sure it was still done. Luckily talking about how awesome Kent is comes easily.

The next thing I love about Kent is how great he is at being a dad. It isn’t often that I see Kent unsure of himself, but before we had Hendrik he had a few moments of uncertainty. Despite having about a billion nieces and nephews he told me he hadn’t really spent a ton of time around tiny newborns and wasn’t too sure how to take care of one. Even once Hendrik was born he liked to follow my cues on what to do for the baby, but like most new things Kent encounters, he jumped in feet first. He has never been the kind of father who tries to avoid changing diapers, giving baths (cleaning accidents out of the bath), dressing babies, or putting them to bed. While he certainly does the lion’s share of horsing around and rough-play, he doesn’t limit himself to only being the fun parent. Although, I think he would probably admit I’m more the disciplinarian than he is.

Now that he has been a father for over three years, I can definitely tell that he is more comfortable in his role. He has never acted like it was always my job to take care of the kids or as if he was doing me a favor if he “babysat” our children. In fact, up until we had Adelaide and I’ve been home, Kent was the one responsible for getting Hendrik dressed and ready in the mornings to drop him off at daycare. After playing more of an active role in Adelaide’s delivery, he even feels pretty confident that he could deliver our next baby, if necessary. I was quick to reassure him that his new skills probably wouldn’t be necessary with baby #3.

I’m really glad that he has been able to develop a strong bond with Hendrik and that they have activities that really only they do together. He always shows an incredible amount of patience with Hendrik and gets him involved in a number of different activities that he does. Whenever Kent is in the kitchen cooking or cleaning, Hendrik is usually in there with him, nearby standing on his step stool to “help.” Even at such a young age, Hendrik has assisted him with repairs and building projects around the house. Kent’s ability to just let Hendrik try and participate in whatever he is doing is an inspiration to me. Too often I find myself saying no to Hendrik’s offers of help because I feel like I don’t have enough time or he’ll make too big of a mess. Neither of those are a worry for Kent.

I’m also excited to see how being a father to a daughter makes his relationship different with Adelaide than it is with Hendrik. One thing is for certain, his children will never wonder if their father loves them. I am incredibly grateful for a husband who shows love for his children constantly and unabashedly. Two of my favorite moments of Kent’s fatherhood are when he held each of his children for the first time. The look of awe and pure love on his face I will never forget. My mom has always told me that she believes all of us bonded with our Dad first because she was so tired after the deliveries and I think that might be true with my kids. Kent held both Hendrik and Adelaide first and I’m so glad that he wanted to be there and so involved in welcoming our children into the world.

Just about every day, usually more than once, Kent will say to Hendrik, “You’re my boy.” Hendrik’s reply is always the same, “Yes, you are my boy.” Obviously he doesn’t quite understand what he is saying back, but I think the message is clear. Kent is a father who loves, even adores, his children. They are special to him and he will always make sure they know it. I could not design a better father for my kids. He does so much to take care of our family and we are forever grateful.

Baby Hendrik
Baby Adelaide

No comments: