Thursday, February 7, 2013

14 Days of Kent: Day 7


I had actually planned this post for the 14th as a nice sum-up, but I think it’s good to do it today, halfway through the fourteen days. I’m a little afraid that my most recent posts have been a bit unimpressive and I don’t want it to be attributed to running out of things to say. Not the case, at all. I think I could probably talk about how wonderful Kent is, well, forever.

The challenge I am finding is actually separating the various qualities/traits from each other. I’ve realized that all of the things that I love about Kent are all the things that make him “Kent” (they are his Kent-ness) and they are all closely connected to each other. I don’t want to be repetitive in my posts, but it’s very difficult to explain one particular thing I love about Kent without discussing the others. I don’t love Kent because he is smart, funny, my best friend, romantic, confident, OR sexy. I love him because he is all of those things (and more!) wrapped into one gorgeous package.

I think that is where so many singles (myself included) fall or have fallen into a trap. We’re taught at a young age to create a list of qualities we want our future spouse to have, maybe even prioritize them, but oftentimes the list becomes more like a shopping list instead of just a vague reminder of what we find important, what we’re compatible with. The point is that you can’t be looking for a person that fits A, B, or C perfectly, you have to find the person that fits YOU perfectly, and vice versa. I think that’s why as time goes on I appreciate my dad’s advice about marrying your best friend that much more. Besides, if you find someone you can be best friends with, more than likely they are going to meet the majority of your most important criteria. And to be honest, the things they don’t meet don’t matter.

It’s really hard to pinpoint specifically what I love most about Kent. I’m realizing that because I love HIM, even the things I might list as annoyances, I love. Because they are part of Kent, and I love Kent. It’s really that simple. For instance, he finds it endlessly hilarious to push my buttons and get me going, I do not find this quite as funny. However, this is part of his sense of humor and when he does it, it’s more about getting a rise out of me than making me upset, so I can appreciate it, usually in hindsight of course. Sometimes you just need someone to make fun of you so you can break out of some thought-cycle you may be stuck in. Including being angry/upset at yourself or someone else.

So while I’m not outlining one specific thing today – thank you Kent, for being Y-O-U. I love Kent Hendrik Hansen, the real deal. I feel like I need to go carve it in a tree trunk or some wet cement or something...


No comments: